Need Help Renovating "Eclipse Stove Company" Stove

Welcome Forums Seeking Wisdom Need Help Renovating "Eclipse Stove Company" Stove

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Chad Higdon 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Jacob Henry
    Participant

Is there anything else I’m missing? A gentleman I spoke with said “Do not light it without the proper liner in the fire box”. What do you normally use to line the firebox? Can I use standard bricks or do I need to find custom bricks similar to https://www.antiquestoveassociation.org/forums/topic/glenwood-6-base-heater-replacment-refractory-bricks?

• #18139 Reply

Chad Higdon
      Participant

What I’ve seen a guy do before is he bought refractory mortar from Lowe’s (comes in a bucket) and lined the firepot with it. Let it dry and started with small fires and worked his way up to bigger fires to cure it.

• #18055 Reply

Jacob Henry
    Participant

My wife and I recently purchased a home in Woodburn Indiana which included a beautiful non-functioning stove made by “The Eclipse Stove Company” out of Mansfield, Ohio. The stove also has the wording “Century”, “No. 16”, and “Stoves and Ranges” impressed on it. I have a local sandblaster and jack of all trades waiting by to renovate it but first I must address the missing trim around the skirt and busted grate. Our hope is to get it functioning to help absorb some heating costs this winter or next. Any “Wisdom” you can provide is very much appreciated. If it proves too difficult to renovate we’ll probably put the funds toward a wood burning insert in the another fireplace in the house. First I’d like to renovate this beauty if at all possible.

Front with busted grate

Front

Side

Reply To: Need Help Renovating "Eclipse Stove Company" Stove
Your information: